People Near You

Weird News, strange News, funny News, odd News, Amazing News, Interesting News

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Dog is 'have-a-toe' hero


A Jack Russell terrier /PA
A US man has told how his dog saved his life - by biting off his infected toe after he passed out drunk.
Jerry Douthett, 48, says Jack Russell terrier Kiko must have sensed the deadly infection festering in his right foot.
Kiko bit off the musician's big toe after he passed out drunk at his home in Rockford, Michigan, reports The Sun.
His wife, Rosee, a nurse, said: "Jerry had had all these margaritas, so I just let him sleep.
"But then I heard these screams coming from the bedroom, and he was yelling, 'My toe's gone, my toe's gone!'"
Mr Douthett added: "He ate it. I mean, he must have eaten it, because we couldn't find it anywhere else in the house. I look down, there's blood all over, and my toe is gone."
When he visited a local hospital it was revealed that he was suffering from undiagnosed Type 2 diabetes.
Tests in hospital revealed a deep infection down to his bone and doctors were forced to amputate what was left of the toe.
"If it hadn't been for that dog, I could have ended up dead," said Mr Douthett.
He admitted he had been hiding his infected foot from people, including his wife.
"It smelled, and I look back now and realise every time we'd visit someone with a dog, their dog would be sniffing all over my foot," he said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Visits